The Zeiss-Großplanetarium Berlin was opened in October 1987 as one of the largest and most modern stellar theatres in Europe. The heart of the house is the planetarium’s projector Cosmorama, from Carl Zeiss Jena, in the 23 metres large dome. Almost 3 million people have visited the planetarium from the year 1987 until 2004.
The gas works at the Danziger Strasse burnt coal from the years 1873 until 1981, producing gas for the city of Berlin. It was the oldest and longest active gas works in Berlin.
The political decision makers had big ideas with this area: it should become a socialist park, with decorative high-rise residential buildings, a cultural centre with restaurants and a planetarium. There was no large planetarium there at that time in East Berlin. The opening of the planetarium was to take place in the anniversary year of 1987 (750 Years Berlin).
Laying of the cornerstone. Director Professor Dr. Dieter B. Herrmann lays the cornerstone for the new Zeiss Major Planetarium in Berlin.
The planetarium was opened on the 9th of October, 1987, at the time of the 750-year anniversary of Berlin.
The fall of the wall and the unification of the two German states brought serious changes and uncertainties: the visitors and the personnel was reduced to a third. The management of the observatory and planetarium tried to direct the development into a course which would secure the existence and the ability of the houses to succeed.
With the rising numbers of visitors, the existence of the houses seemed to be secured for the time being. The technical equipment was gradually supplemented.
On the 1st of July, the Archenhold Observatory and the Zeiss-Großplanetarium became part of the German Museum of Technology Foundation and become a branch outlet of the Museum of Technology in the Trebbiner Straße.
Dr. Klaus Staubermann is appointed head of the Archenhold Observatory and Zeiss-Großplanetarium in Berlin til 2006.