| |

Deutsches Technikmuseum - July

Site Navigation Menus


website overview

The Websites of the donation Stiftung Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin at a glance:

Stiftung

The donation contains six locations:

Exhibit of the Month July 2015

Photo: The letters NAG are applied in the middle of the round radiator which is made of wire mesh.

Radiator of a NAG Phaeton, circa 1906 © SDTB / Photo: C. Kirchner

NAG radiator, circa 1906

Radiator construction is an art. For over a century now, cooling experts have been protecting motors against the kind of extreme heat that might make them disappear in a cloud of steam.

The car radiator and grill on display was manufactured by the "Neue Automobil-Gesellschaft" - NAG for short.

It was founded in 1901 as a subsidiary of the electrical company "Allgemeine Elektricitäts-Gesellschaft" (AEG).

The factory in Berlin-Oberschöneweide was one of the most advanced industrial facilities in Germany.

Photo: A white painted car with curved fenders, big headlights and sunroof.

A vehicle of the upper class: the NAG-Protos Type 208, built 1930 © SDTB / Foto: V. Kreidler

"For class, there is only NAG"

The company enjoyed its greatest success in the times before and after World War I, employing as many as 5,000 workers. Production included trucks for the army, 8-cylinder luxury cars, hackney cabs and sports cars. NAG won the first Avus car race in 1921.

Export played a key role in the business. NAG vehicles were known for their performance and reliability. The advertising slogan "For class, there is only NAG" attests to that corporate image. Income from foreign sales was often greater than that from sales in Germany.

It was not only in European countries that NAG vehicles were driven, but also on the caravan routes in Persia and the high plateaus of Mexico and South Africa as well as in the service of Brazilian coffee farmers and Java’s sugar barons.

The radiator displayed here was manufactured around 1906 and belonged to a NAG Phaeton that was originally licensed in Switzerland. It is a donation of Hansueli Herter (Neftenbach/Switzerland).