| |

Deutsches Technikmuseum - September

Site Navigation Menus


website overview

The Websites of the donation Stiftung Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin at a glance:

Stiftung

The donation contains six locations:

Exhibit of the Month September 2015

Photo: On the left page the building contract with the signatures and a wax seal, on the right page are various cost statements.

In a Prussian blue cover: the Borsig palace dome construction file from 1847. © SDTB, Historical archive / Photo: C. Kirchner

File for the Berlin Palace dome, 1847

It wasn’t until the reign of King Frederick William IV that the City Palace achieved the ultimate profile that for over a century would be a characteristic feature of old Berlin.

The king commissioned the two imperial court architects Friedrich August Stüler and Albert Dietrich Schadow to add a dome to the palace’s main portal.

The initial design originated from the great classical master builder and architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel, who, however, had already passed away in 1841.

Photo: Text block of the left page, the finalised contract and the four signatures handwritten in German Kurrent. On the left margin a red seal emblem.

The finalised contract with signatures and seal / Zoom

The 12 May 1847 building contract with original signatures

The "Acta des Schloss Kuppelbaues zu Berlin 1847" from the Borsig company archive that is on display here contains Borsig’s correspondence with the royal building committee.

It is turned to the page with the 12 May 1847 building contract including the signatures of structural engineer Adolf Brix and Borsig himself representing the contractor’s side and of Stüler and Schadow from the principal’s side

Historical CMYK color printing: Look at the three-storey City Palace with the 25-meter wide dome over the main entrance.

The City Palace’s western façade with dome, circa 1900; to the right in the foreground is the Kaiser Wilhelm national monument. © SDTB / Photo: Historical archive

The king expressed the "utmost satisfaction" after Borsig was finished with the construction of the wrought iron dome, which had a span of a good 25 metres.

In 1851 Borsig was awarded the title "Commerzien-Rath" by Frederick William for his engineering masterpiece.

After being badly damaged at the end of WW II, the palace and the dome were demolished in 1950. An historical reconstruction of the dome is supposed to crown the resurrected City Palace by the year 2019.